Crunchy fritter as evening snacks with hot tea…what a combination in rainy wather and for Bengali there is nothing like it for rainy evening snacks. Even Bong people sometime like to eat as side dish with hot white rice and cooked yellow lentils (dal in Bengali) at lunch time. I don’t know for other regions but am sure if any one try once will fall in love with this side dish at lunch time. Frankly speaking for me ,when I don't get time to cook or don't have some special with rice ,I used to cook light cooked dal, mashed spicy potatoes (Aloo vate in Bengali) and different types of Fries like Cabbage fritter or Onion Fritter among many .My family really-really like it very much...
Basically fritter is applied to wide variety of fried foods with dipping or mixing with prepared batter. To make fritter you can have your any preferred food like fish, chicken, veggies, lentil, fruits etc. and deep fry it with a batter or some binding ingredients that helps to accumulate used foods when it is frying in oil.
Do you like cabbage? If yes, here is the cabbage fritter recipe only for you. Really it tastes awesome. Personally I like much crunchiness in fritter, that’s why I used little bit rice flour and semolina. You can reduce it as per your choice...
· Finely cut sliced cabbage -2 cup/240 grams
· Finely cut sliced onion -1 big in size
· Finely sliced capsicum -1 small
· Finely chopped green chili -1 no.
· Pinch of Ajwain(Carom Seeds)
· Pinch of black cumin seed
· Salt to taste
· Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp.
· Red chili powder -1/4 tsp.
· Rice flour -1 tbsp.
· Semolina -1tbsp
· Gram flour -2 tbsp.
· Baking soda -1/4tsp.
· In a big mixing bowl take all vegetables mentioned and a pinch of salt. Mix altogether well. It will release water and vegetables will become soft after some time.
· Then add others remaining ingredients apart from veggies mentioned above into it and mix well again. (Don't add water. Water releases from vegetables itself also it helps to moist dry ingredients). So batter is ready to fry.
· Take little amount of it in to your palm, flatten it and deep fry it in medium hot oil until it became golden brown.
· It is ready. Enjoy before it gets cool.