Sunday, 21 August 2016

Fresh Palm Cake

                                                                   


           Plum cakes / Rich plum cakes are actually came from European countries and are very popular, specially in Christmas winter holidays.To make this cake varieties of dry fruits and sometimes alcohol are used and it really gives a  very good taste.

       Have you ever thought what will be the result if you use real Indian fresh palm fruit to make palm cake? My answer is of course yes,will be great and it will bring a excellent ,traditional Indian taste. First time I made this eggless fresh palm cake and was happy to get a moist and very yummy fresh cake.Here I didn’t use vanilla essence because it can dominate the palm’s actual flavor,rather used cardamom powder that that gone well with Indian palm fruit. You can do a little twist too if you like my way with it that I have planned  to do for my cutee and favourite GOD Gopal's Birthday on Janmastami.Where first you can make some palm pakora before .Then after making the cake batter, you can mix them(prepared palm pakoras) with the batter and bake as usual.

         Let me share my story related to Palm,when I was on 7 th standard ,my aunty gave a little and cutee GOPAL who suppose to eat palm very much. So we never took palm without giving Gopal first every year.As time passed year after year Gopal became very  near and dear to our parents and my sister and off course me.I always miss my Gopal after marriage and specially on the occasion of Janmastami. Few years back once my mom was admitted to Hospital due to serious illness and that year my GOPAL was with me at the time of Janmastami.But that time I had so much busy with my lil 6 months baby ‘Pari’ that I totally forgot to make palm related dish on Janmastumi. surprisingly one of my neighbors gave some palm pakora (taler bora in Bengali) on that particular day and I was so happy that I have not broke the tradition.
Till today my mom never forget to make palm preparation in the occasion.I share the story with you all as it is related to fresh Indian Palm.
    Last year my post on janmastami  was  "Bengali Taler Fuluri /Bora ( Sugar Palm Fried Fritters)" ...can view also. 



Ingredients:

·         Plain flour -1 ½ cup.
·         Sugar powder -1 cup
·         Baking powder -1 tsp.
·         Baking soda – ½ tsp.
·         Butter – ¾ cup or 100 grams
·         Milk -1/2 cup
·         Sweet palm pudding -1 cup
·         Raisins -1 handful
·         Cardamom powder -1/2 tsp.
·         Cashew nuts – 2 tbsp.(optional)

   (You can use  fresh palm puree too, but I used palm pudding that called in Bengali ‘Taler Kheer’.T o make this first heat a pan ,then add 2 cup of palm puree,1/2 cup of sugar, fresh grated coconut ,cardamom powder, cashew nuts .Mix well and boil for  10 to 15 mints. Let it cool at room tempt.)

Method:

·         In a dry mixing bowl sieve flour and mix baking powder with it.
·         In another bowl  beat butter and sugar together till it became creamy. Add baking soda, cardamom powder and mix well.
·         Next add palm pudding in it ,mix well.
·         Fold  flour -baking powder mixture in it and slowly add milk at the same time when folding flour.
·         Add raisins and mix well.
·         Pour the batter in a greased loaf tin and bake for 40 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 150 degree C.Check the cake by a tooth pick inserting it into middle of the cake. When it comes out clean, then cake is done.
·         Let it be cool for 10 to 15 minutes at room temperature and demould it.

Tip  I didn't post step by step pics as it is very basic.
One can store the cake upto the day after you made the cake..Try and get a surprise taste.

 

2 comments:

  1. Can't thank you enough for this recipe! It was too good! Sadly i cant attach a picture here else i would have .. I have previously tried out bhetki paturi from your blog. Those turned out delicious as well :)

    ReplyDelete