Coconut Chicken Curry
Preparation Time: 1 hr.
Marination Time: 2 hrs.
Cooking time: 30 mins.
Serves: 4 persons
· Chicken with bone -500 grams.
· Onion (Fry onion using 2 tbsp. of white oil) -1 big sized
· Red onion(roughly chopped) -2 small sized
· Finely chopped one big red onion
· Garlic -1 medium sized
· Ginger -1’’ piece
· Green chili -2 nos.(can deseeded if prepare for child or avoid )
· Yogurt –Heaped 2 tbsp.
· Vinegar -1/.4 tsp.(optional)
· Red chili powder -1/2 tbsp.
· Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp.
· Salt to taste
· Sugar -1 tbsp.
· Coconut milk -1 cup.
· White oil -2 tbsp.
· ¼ cup or 2-3 tbsp. of water if require
· First wash and clean chicken pieces and strain the excess water.
· Heat 2 tbsp. of oil in a frying pan .Add chopped or sliced one big sized onion in it. Fry until it become golden brown. Remove it from heat with oil. Let it cool at room temperature.
· Put this fried onion with oil, 2 roughly chopped onion, ginger, garlic and green chilies in a blender and blend together and make a smooth paste.
· Now take a big mixing bowl, add chicken pieces, prepared smooth paste and add also turmeric powder, red chili powder, yogurt, vinegar and salt. Mix together well.
· Keep this Marination in refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Personally I prefer overnight Marination for chicken or mutton. But sometimes in hurry it can be less as convenience.
· Now heat 2 tbsp. of oil in a big mouthed kadai, add finely chopped one onion. Fry for 1 minute .Notice it will change its colour.
· Then add marinated chicken pieces only. Fry it at high flame for 1-2 minutes and then add Marination juice. Cook for 5-7 minutes. Oil will start to float over it.
· At this moment add coconut milk. Here I used readymade coconut milk. Mix well. Adjust salt and sugar as per your taste. If require more gravy you can add a little bit more water.
· When it starts to boil cover with a lid and let it boil at low flame for 15-20 minutes or until chicken pieces become tender.
· Finally it is ready to serve your delicious chicken curry; you can serve it with your preferred tawa roti or any kind of Indian bread.
· Instead of coconut milk you can add coconut cream too. The cream is very tasty itself but not available easily at grocery shops and is very costly too.
· You can use plain milk if you don’t have coconut milk. I tried with milk too and found the taste good too.