If you ask any Bengali for their favourite simple lunch, definitely they will reply ‘Bulir dal r aloo posto’ (urad dal / lentil and potato with poppy seed) with steamed rice. To beat this intolerable scorching heat thin dal/lentil and potatoes with poppy seeds is the best recipe and very less preparation time also.
I always try to do something new or love to do little twist with traditional one, but today I'm posting a very traditional and known Bengali recipe, that is potato with poppy seed (Aloo Posto) with no twist.
Simple poppy seed paste mixed with little salt and chopped onion served with simple white rice is also very tasty and help to keep your body cool in summer days.
· Potatoes( cut in to cube) -3 medium sized
· Poppy seed paste -1/2 cup
· Whole cumin seed 1/2 tsp.
· Whole dry red chillies - 2 nos.
· Salt to taste
· Sugar -1/2tsp.
· Green chili slices - 2 nos.
· Mustard oil - 2 tbsp.
· Heat a kadai. Add oil.
· When hot add red chili and cumin seed.
· It will start to crackle, next add potatoes and Salt. Mix well and cook for 7-10 minutes in low flame by covering lid.
· Potatoes will be little fried and become soft.
· Then add poppy seed paste, mix well and cook for a minute more.
· Then add 1/4 cup water, green chili and sugar.
· When it starts to boil, cover with a lid and cook for another 10 minutes at low flame.
· After ten minutes open the lid and you will find gravy gets thicken .
· Remove from heat and obviously serve with hot white rice