The festival season is in full blast, Everywhere we can see the decorated lights, newly painted houses ,painted street footpaths and railings. The city of Kolkata is maked over like a bride. Kolkata is truly ready to celebrate the festival of Diwali or Deepavali means the rows of Diyas.
If one define this most popular festival in words then any one can say ‘Crackers’, ‘Lights’ and ‘Sweets’. Yes this is the festival of lights and is signifies triumph of good over evil. The lights, the sound of fireworks, the decorations, new clothes, the friendly exchanges amongst family and friends, the food, the joy of togetherness and the general excitement in the air.
To celebrate Dewali with some homemade sweets, today I am going to post one of all-time favourite sweets - the kalakand, a delicious and creamy sweet prepared with milk. It is rich in milk protein and prepared with grainy reduction of milk and sugar. And it’s delicately flavoured with cardamom powder makes it out of world in taste.
Try out this very simple dessert item at your home and enjoy the festival…A Very Happy Diwali.
· Cow Milk Liquid (each ½ ltr) -2 nos.
· Lemon juice of one lemon
· Green cardamom powder -1/4 tsp.
· Rose water-1/2 tsp.
· Pistachio – 10 grams.
· Cashew-nuts -1/4 cups(about 50 grams)
· Amul milk powder-2 tbsp.
· Sugar-3/4 cup.
· Take one milk liquid packet and let it boil.
· When it just started to boil, add lemon juice and leave it for boiling for another 3-4 minutes.
· Milk will start to curdle and separated from water which will release after adding lemon juice.
· When it starts to boil, add sugar, mix and stir constantly.
· Take out ¼th cup of the milk and mix Milk powder after it become moderately hot in a separate cup. Otherwise lumps will form of milk powder. Stir and mix well so that it becomes even liquid. Keep it aside.
· Meanwhile in a blender blend Cashew-nuts and pistachio together and make powder.
· Add this into the boiling milk and stir frequently. Otherwise it will be stick at the bottom of the pan.
· Let it to cool at room temperature. Spreads little bit crashed pistachio over it and keep it into refrigerator for about 15 -20 minutes.