Hi friends today I am going to share a very Tradition Bengali Recipe “Macher Matha/Muro diye Moong Dal” means “Moong dal with fried fish head”. This recipe is taken from my mom or better to say is my mom’s recipe.
”Moms recipe is the best” – These words are truth for each of us and a mom can only make her recipe perfect because she cooks with lots of Love, care and Affection for her baby. In other Bengali words we always say “Mayer hater rannar kono tulona nei”.
Now being a mom I realize the same feelings and got so much satisfaction when my little daughter gives complements and says ‘mama it was really awesome’
Now coming back to the list of my mother’s favourites there is an endless list. ’Macher Matha diye sona moong dal’ is one of such recipes. Not to mention this traditional recipe always cooked at the time when there is a gathering of close relatives or friends and also occasionally using the reaming fish heads in the refrigerator. A small twist which I tried is the use of chopped red bell pepper. So go ahead with the recipe and give your valuable comments….
· Fish Head (Macher Matha/Muro Catla / Katla – deep fried)-1 no.
(Roast first for a minute, then wash it)
· Chopped onion-1 no.
· Grated garlic- 1 tsp.
· Grated ginger-1/2 tsp.
· Red bell pepper (medium -chopped)-1/2 no.
· Green chili slices-2 no.
· Tomato(big sized)-1 no
· Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp.
· Salt to taste.
· Sugar-1/2 tsp.
· Vineger-1/2 tsp.
· Mustard oil-3 tbsp.
· Garam Masala powder (green cardamom, cinnamon, clove)-1/4 tsp.
· Ghee/Butter-1/4 tsp.
· Whole green cardamom-2 no.
· Cinnamon-1 small piece
· Clove-2 no.
· Bay Leaf – 1 no.
· Take a kadai. Heat oil and fry the fish head (cut halved) after properly washing it. Remove from heat and crash it.
· Use the remaining oil and add whole garam masala and bay leaf.
· When it begins to splutter, add onion, ginger and garlic,
· Cook for 2 -3 minutes.
· Then add tomato, chili and bell pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
· Next add soaked moong dal, turmeric powder, chili powder, salt, sugar
· Finally add fried fish head. Mix well.
· When oil begins float, add water and vinegar.
· Let it boil with cover until dal gets boiled.
· Now take pan and heat ghee. When it melted remove from heat and add powder garam masala. Keep it aside.
· When dal gets boiled, remove from heat and mix ghee mixture in it.
· Give a standing time and yes it is ready to serve hot with steamed rice.
Tips: One can do the dal gets steamed first in a pressure cooker for fast cooking though I can say that boiling dal in Kadai gives a taste of Tradition.