Saraswati Pujo means full of childhood memories and we feel really nostalgic, the way we girls dressed up in Sarees and used to roaming around after completing puja. The most memorable thing which we all Bengalis experienced, the first infatuation , the first crush all are really relates our Saraswati Puja . People now a day compares this with Valentine’s Day .Really it is indeed Bengali Valentine’s day. Bhuri bhoj with Khichuri,Labra, chatni and papad is the other thing which we really loved and still loving it. Labra is the thing which originates from opar banga and now it is one of the most demanding and must recipe at the time of pujar bhog. Khichuri or Khicri is an important part of the day for Bengalis and labra is the perfect combination .The Kuler Chatni and Papad is the thing which completes the menu along with sweet dish like Rasgulla or Rosogolla in Bengali
Though I made Labra previously but I always like the perfect taste which becomes perfect after some suggestions from my friend, I learned Labra incompletes without Mulo (Radish) and Kumro (Pumpkin), Kumro for mild sweetness and Mulo/Muli for a typical Bengali taste of Labra.
So, here is my version of Labra…
· Potato (cut into cubes) – 1 no.
· Coli flower – ¼ (medium size)
· Long beans (cut it into 1’’ long) – 50 grams.
· Sweet Potato (cut into 1’’ long) – 1 medium.
· Peas – ½ cup.
· Pumpkin – 50 grams cut into cubes.
· Lima Beans – 10 nos.(Cut horizontally into half ).
· Egg Plant – 1 small (cut into 1’’ long).
· Ginger paste – 1 ½ tsp.
· Coriander powder – ½ tsp. (heaped).
· Turmeric powder – ½ tsp.
· Salt – to taste.
· Sugar – 2 tsp.
· Puncn Phuton – 1 tsp.
· Dry red chili – 2 nos.
· Bay leaf – 1 no.
· Green chili – 2 nos.
· Mustered Oil – as required (Need bit oil as there is no use of water).
· First boil lightly Lima beans and radish and stain the water and keep aside.
· Take a pan and fry coli flower well and keep aside.
· Dry other mentioned vegetable after washing properly.
· Now take a Kadai in high flame, add Punch Phuton, red chili, green chili , bay leaf and stir well for 5 seconds. When it stats crackles add all mentioned vegetables and mix well.
· Add turmeric powder and salt also, Cover the Kadai and let the vegetable to boil in low flame.
· After 15 min (when all veg become soft) add ginger paste, fried coli flower and sugar.
· Mix and cook for another 10 to 12 minutes in low flame with cover.
· After that mix coriander powder properly with it and off the flame and give the standing time.
· Serve hot with Khicudi.