Yakhni is a Kashmiri word for mutton stock. So, this is actually a Pulao cooked in mutton stock. Mutton Yakhni Pulao is the Kashmiri version of mutton biryani. Previously I made a similar version but after gone through Amrita Gill’s (my co-blogger of Kolkata Food Bloggers) TV show in Zee Khanakhazana I was really very much impressed and made her version(Amma’s Yakhni Pulao) with little tweak (I added star anise and Kesar strands in addition).
It’s a really very healthy and full of energy recipe. So try this easy & healthy homemade “Mutton Yakhni Pulao” recipe at your own at home and enjoy the real taste of it.
Preparation Time: 1.30-2 hour
Cooking time: 15 minutes
· Basmati rice-3cups
· Small mutton pieces-300grams.
· Grated ginger- 1tsp.
· Grated garlic-1tsp.
· Dry roasted coriander seed -1tsp.
· Dry roasted fennel seed – 1/2 tsp.
· Star anise -1 no.
· Green cardamom - 4-5nos.
· Cinnamon stick-1inch
· Water-3 cups (for boiling mutton)
· (To boil rice you need 5and 1/2cup of water. After boiling mutton, you have to add water with mutton stock to boil rice.)
· Green chili slit-2 nos (optional), actually I personally like its flavour.
· Dry red chili-2 nos.
· Kesar strands 4-5nos. (It is also optional), Here I used it for little bit colour.
· Salt-to taste
· Sugar-1 tsp.
· Ghee or white oil-3 tsp.(I used 2tsp of oil and one tsp. of ghee)
· Fried Onion (beresta) – using 1 medium onion.
· Clean the rice and soak in water for about 1/2 an hour. Drain the water and keep aside.
· Put coriander seed and star anise in a small piece of muslin cloth. Bind it.
· Put mutton pieces in a heavy bottom pan or in pressure cooker .Add 3 cups of water and bonded muslin cloth also into it. Cover with a lid and cook until it gets boiled.
· Then strain the mutton stock and store and at the same time keep mutton pieces separately.
· In another frying pan heat oil or ghee, add whole Garam Masala and dry red chili.
· Fry for 20 seconds and add mutton piece next saute for another minute and then add rice.
· Fry for another 2 minutes and add measurable water with mutton stock (collected previously), green chili and cook in low flame for 15 minutes covering lid.
· Gradually Rice will gets boiled and it will release a nice aroma.
· Then remove the pan from heat and after opening lid spread Kesar stands over it. Give standing time and finally it is ready to serve hot.You can garnish Yakhni Pulao with Fried Onion (beresta) and fresh coriander leaves.