Previously I had posted “Coconut Barfi” on the occasion of Diwali http://umekitchen.blogspot.in/2012/11/diwali-special-coconut-barfi.html , which is very much traditional and Bengali styled sweet. But this typical Microwave version is quite simple and modified and uses fewer ingredients. The taste microwaved coconut comes out perfect with sugar, milk and gheet. Be sure you aware of over cooking as it will make the barfi much harder.
· Fresh grated coconut -1 cup
· Milk - 1/4 cup.
· Sugar - 3 tbsp.
· Cardamom (elach/elaichi) powder - 1 tsp.
· Saffron stands- few.
· Lemon Yellow food colour
· Ghee - 2 tsp.
· Almond and saffron stands for garnish
· In microwave safe bowl, mix ghee and fresh coconut and microwave on high for 2 - 3 minutes
· Stir once after 1 minute. Add milk, sugar, cardamom powder and yellow colour, saffron stands and microwave on high for 8 - 10 minutes, stir well once again after 4-5 minute.
· Remove and spread the mixture onto a greased plain container or simply over thali with a thickness of 1 inch and allow it to set for 1 hour.
· Finally cut into rectangles and garnish with almond pieces and saffron stands.
Always store in an air-tight container.