Chole Bhature also as Chola Poori is a very popular Punjabi dish which is usually served as breakfast. Chole bhature is a combination of chole and fried Indian bread known as Bhature or Poori or sometime Luchi(bigger) in bengali. Chole is prepared with chick peas and bhature with all purpose flour/maida. Chole and Bhature are perfect match and are like make for each other, so I am giving the recipe for both together in a single post.
This popular Punjabi dish is a heavy breakfast when taken with Lassi or fruit juice and is perfect to start a hectic day. It is one of my favourite breakfasts but I usually take it with cold drinks. My favourite destination for this recipe is Kolkata’s Haldirams Chole Bhature though they make their chole much thicker. So please try it at home and make your own custom taste. Enjoy eating….
· Flour-2 cups
· Semolina-3/4 cup.
· Baking powder-1tsp.
· Salt-1/2 tsp.
· Yogurt-3 1/2 tbsp.
· White oil-2 tbsp.
· Luke warm water-as required to make a soft dough
· White oil-for frying
· Boiled chickpeas / Chole(Kabuli channa)-1 1/2 cups
· Strained tea liquor-1/2 cup
· Ginger paste-1 1/2 tsp.
· Tomato-2 no.
· Green chili chopped-2 now.
· Channa masala-1 1/2 tsp.
· Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp.
· Red chili powder-1/2 tsp.
· Salt-to taste
· Sugar-1/2 tsp.
· Garam masala powder(dry roast of cardamom, cinnamon and clove)-1 pinch
· White oil-2 tbsp.
· Ghee or butter-1/4 tsp.
· Bay leaves – 1 no.
· In a big mixing bowl put all mentioned ingredients except water. mix well.
· Then pour slowly water as required and make soft dough.
· Cover it with a damp cloth or cling film for an hour.
· Make equal small balls and with a rolling pin flatten each ball 1/4 inch thick.
· Finally Fry it in medium hot oil.
· Make a paste using tomato and ginger.
· In a heavy bottom pan put oil and when it is being hot put white cumin seed and bay leaf.
· When it is crackling, put the tomato – ginger paste.
· Now cook for 2 minutes and add green chili and Channa masala powder, red chili powder and stir constantly by adding tea liquor simultaneously.
· Add boiled chole, sugar, salt and mix very well.
· Then put one cup hot water. When water begins to boil use low flame after covering it and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
· After 20 minutes the gravy should well prepared .Switch off the gas in this moment and spread little bit Garam masala and half tsp. of butter/ghee and cover again.
· Finally give a standing time of 5 minutes.
· Serve hot with freshly prepared Bhature.
· You can sprinkle coriander leaves and/or onion if you wish.