Aloo dum is a traditional, delicious, spicy and obviously one of the flavorful dish made of fried potatoes coated with spices. Aloo Dum is one of the hugely popular dishes in Bengal as well of rest of The India and is frequently served in parties and religious festivals. While several versions of Aloo Dum recipes are prevalent in India, the tastiest and most famous version of this dish comes from the Indian state of West Bengal. Besides being a trademark dish served in almost all public gatherings in Bengal along with most obvious Luchi (deep-fried Indian bread /Poori), Aloo Dum is also a regular feature at meal-times in the traditional Bengal household. In addition to luchi, Aloo Dum goes well with any Indian bread such as roti, paratha. I have made the Niramish (vegiterian version ) of it as I did not use onion and garlic and some special touch of fenugreek seed.
· Medium size potato(peeled and cut into half)-500 grams
· Fenugreek seed-1/4 tsp.
· Tomato-5 pcs.
· Ginger- 1 inch .
· Green chili-3 nos.
· Kasuri methi Powder(Dry and roasted Fenugreek seed)-1/2 tsp.
· Garam Masala powder (cardamom, clove and cinnamon)-1/2 tsp.
· White cumin seed-1/2 tsp.
· White oil-3 tbsp.
· Ghee-1/2 tsp.
· Salt – to taste.
· Sugar – 1 tsp.
· Turmeric Powder - ¼th tsp.
· Kashmiri red chili Powder – ½ tsp.
· Hot water – 1 ½ cup.
· Make a smooth paste with tomato, ginger and green chili.
· Take a pan and put oil. Add potato after the oil become hot.
· Fry until it become light golden brown. Remove freshly fried potato from heat and keep aside.
· Add white cumin seed into the remaining oil and add and fenugreek seeds.
· When starts sputtering pour tomato paste, turmeric powder and red chili powder and add salt, sugar.
· Cook for 5 mints. When tomato gets cooked, add fried potato and mix it well.
· Finally pour 1 ½ cup of hot water.
· Cook it in low frame covering it.
· When the gravy become thick and oil is being floating on the top sprinkle the roasted dry fenugreek seed and again cook for another minute.
· Put off the gas and add ghee (butter) and sprinkle Garam masala Powder over it, give it a standing time for few minutes.
· So, it is ready to eat.