If you make a list of favorite traditional Bengali dishes I am sure that “Shukto” will have a position among tops. From 8 to 18 and from vegetarian to non- vegetarian this dish is liked by all for its wonderful and unique taste.
Generally the main cooking process of this recipe is that to fry the vegetables and then have to make medium thin gravy. It can also be made in different ways like one can use turmeric powder in it though traditionally it is made without turmeric powder. Bitter guard is used to make Shukto but one may leave it and instead can use bottle guard. Though I don’t like these versions of Shukto.
Another version is “Neem Sukto” where neem leaves are used as one of the ingredients. It is also one of the traditional versions of “Shukto”.
Serve for – 3 persons.
· Drumsticks(chopped long along length) - 5 nos.
· Raw Banana – ½ no.
· Potato(chopped long) – 1 no.
· Bitter guard(cut long thin) – 5-6 nos.
· Red potato medium (chopped long) – 1 no.
· Bean(chopped long) – 6-7 nos.
· Eggplant(chopped long) – 1 no.
· Ginger powder – ½ tsp.
· Vadies (Bari in bengali Mung/musur dal) – 8 -10 nos.
· Mustard powder – 1 tsp.
· Milk – 1 cup.
· Water – as required.
· Ghee - 1/2 tsp.
· Mustard oil – 4 tbsp.
· Panch phoron whole (spice mix whole)– ½ tsp.
· Dry roasted Panch phoron powder (spice mix powder)– ½ tsp.
· Bay leaf – 1 no.
· Cumin powder – 1 pinch.
· Salt – to taste.
· Suger – 2tbsp.
· First Take a pan and put oil and then heat it. Fry vadies and keep it aside.
· To the remaining oil fry Bitter guard .When it is become light brown removes from heat and keep it aside as well.
· To the remaining oil put Panch Phoron and bay leaf .When they are began to crackle put all vegetables and little bit salt and cook for about 3 minutes in low heat.
· Mix ginger powder, mustard powder and milk together .After 3 minutes open the lid and pour milk, mustard powder mixture in it and mix well.
· When it began to boil in high flame put 1 cup of water just after ½ minute and add salt to taste ,Cook for about 10 – 12 minutes covering it with low heat.
· In the mean while put fried vadies after 5 minutes.
· After that put off the gas. Open the lid and spread dry roasted Panch Phoron Powder and ghee in it and mix well. Give the standing time.
· Put it in a serving plate. Spread further little bit Panch phoron masala over it.Serve with hot streamed rice.
This recipe is truly fitted for celebrating the "Bengali Nabo Barso" virtual celebration of KFBian and is for all the foodies love Bengali cuisine.