Traditional Bengali food is ever green. Sometimes for experiment we try to put a new level on it by adding or removing something from it. Such a traditional Bong recipe –“Chingri Mocha” ,I made today in my kitchen.
Way back my Mama used to make it as veg without Chingri and few ingredients and the taste gets wonderful. I just made the non-veg version of it by adding Chingri (Prawn). Now a day we are too busy to make lengthy recipes and its perfect example is “Chingri Mocha” - which is also time consuming recipe. As its cutting process is time taking. The grated coconut which is also very suitable with this recipe is also time consuming. Though in modern days chopped mocha (banana flower) and grated coconut are both available in market we can at least have a chance to cook this delicious recipe. Though I thing we all know that the smell rather aroma of ready made things not so fresh as homemade ones.
· Banana-flower finely chopped (mocha)- 1 no .(small)
· Medium sized prawn (washed, cleaned and remove head, and shell)-150 grams.
· Channa dal paste adding a pinch of asafoetida-2 tbsp.
· Garlic paste-1/2 tsp.
· Cumin powder-1 tsp.
· Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp.
· Red chili powder-1/2 tsp.
· Coconut powder-1 tsp.
· Ghee-2 tbsp.
· Salt-As per taste
· Sugar – 2 ½ tsp.
· Bay leaves- 2 nos.
· Whole red chilies- 2 nos.
· Garam masala powder-1/2 tsp.
· Whole Garam masala- cardamoms 2 nos . , clove 2 nos. , cinnamon stick 1 small pieces.
· Boil mocha (banana flower) adding turmeric powder and salt. When cooked drain the water and mash it. Keep aside.
· Take a kadai. Heat it. Add ghee, bay leaves, whole red chilies and garam masala.
· When it is just beginning to crackle put prawn and fry it for ½ minute with high flame.
· Then put ginger- garlic paste and Channa dal paste in it. Fry it.(If require pour 1 tbsp. of water.it actually save the cooking masala from getting burn.
· Next add cumin powder, red chili powder, salt and sugar, mix it. Then add ½ cup of water and covering it cook it with low flame for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and sprinkle garam masala powder over it.
· Serve hot with Steam rice.