Meringue is one of the traditional French deserts and used to make with whipped egg whites and icing sugar and just a few additional ingredients. It takes an airy and crunchy texture after baking. This is called meringue nest. It can be used sometimes as meringue cookies.
With a richer filling with whipped cream, egg yolk or any seasonal fruits or chocolate, It takes finally a wonderful yummy desert.
The vital points are to make simple meringue nest are
· Have to bake this with low power for much time.
· Moist weather is enemy of meringue.
After making meringue nest keep it in an airtight container, otherwise it will lose crunchiness. Before serving spread filling over it, garnish it with any types of fruits as you wish and serve.
I want to share my own experience with all friends. Since it was made in big size, it was much heavier so I kept the rest in refrigerator in an airtight container. The next day I was surprised as the chilled taste of meringue was just wonderful and yummy. You guys can also taste the cooled version and I believe you will not be disappointed.
· Egg whites-4 nos.
· Icing sugar-150 grams.
· Cornflour-2 tbsp.
[you can use vanilla essence if wish.]
For the filling:
· Egg yolks-2 nos.
· Dark chocolate-50 grams
· Water-2 tbsp.
· Whipped cream-50 ml.
· Any seasonal fruits to decorate-as required [I used strawberries
· Draw two circles 5 inches each on butter paper and place paper on baking tray.
· Whisk egg whites in a clean dry bowl till it stands in soft peaks.
· Gradually whisk in half of the sieved sugar and continue whisking till mixture is stiff and glossy.
· Carefully fold remaining sugar and corn flour with a spatula.
· Spoon meringue or mixture into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle and pipe swirl into circle.
· Preheat oven to 140 degree in CONVECTION.
· Beak for 1 hour it and switch off oven but let the trays remain inside to cool.
· Once cool take out from oven and peel off paper.
To make filling;
· Whip cream till it stands in peaks.
· In a micro safe bowl add broken chocolate and water and melt in medium power for 1-2 minutes stir chocolate gently.
· Add the yolks till chocolate is till warm and stir till mixed.
· Fold in ¾ of the cream to the yolk mixture and fill rest into a piping bag.
· Layer the chocolate cream in between the meringue layer.
· Pipe whipped cream over the meringue and garnish with strawberries.