The dish is one of the famous traditional Bengali recipes and actually originates from Dhaka .This dish does not need any description and it is perfect for any get together or festival.Apart from Bhetki (Barramundi Fish) Ilish (Hilsa fish) also used to make a similar Paturi called Ilish Paturi. Bengali food lovers do try it in your kitchen and make your lunch/dinner very much bong. This is the edited version of my old post especially for the on going event of Kolkata Food Bloggers "Dugra Pujar Bhuri Bhoj"...enjoy the Puja and welcome Maa Durga..
· Bhetki Fish fillet (Barramundi Fish) - 8 nos.
· Lemon Juice - 4 tbsp.
· Salt- to taste.
· Mustard Oil - As required.
· Yellow mustard seed - 2 tbsp.
· Black mustard seed – 2 tbsp.
· Fresh Coconut paste – 2 tbsp.
· Green Chili paste– ¼ tsp.
· Green Chili slit- 8 nos.
· Clean Banana Leaf for wrapping.
(No. of pieces of banana leaves depends on the no. of fish pieces taken)
· Marinate Bhetki fillets with lemon juice & salt for 10 mins.
· Make a thick paste with yellow mustard seeds, black mustard seeds, green chili paste, salt fresh coconut paste Mix 2 tbsp. mustard oil in it.
· For the 2nd Marination, put the fish fillets in it for 30 minutes.
· Bake banana leafs for 2-3 seconds to soften it for easy to wrap.
· Grease each banana leaf with mustard oil and place each marinated fish pieces on a banana leaf. Then fold leafs from the 4 sides and tie with a thread.
· Take a frying pan and grease it with oil.
· When hot, place banana leaf with fish into the pan and cover it with a lid and cook both sides for 5-7 minutes in low flame.
· Remove from heat.
· Serve hot (with the banana leaf) with plain rice to make it traditional.