Thick fresh curd - 2 cups
Mung dal - 1/4 th cup
Urad dal(without skin) - 3/4 th cup
Grated ginger - 2'' pieces
Salt - to taste
Sugar - 1 tsp
Red chili powder - to taste
Roasted brown cumin seed
(Ground to a fine powder) - 1 and 1/2 tsp
Green Chili (finely chopped) - 2 nos
Oil (for deep frying) - As required
Tamarind Sweet& sour chutney -1 tbsp
Coriander leaf (chopped) - For garnishing (optional)
- Wash both type of dals & soak in 4-5 cups of water for 5-6 hours.
- Make a smooth & fine paste of it.(Don’t use to much water to make it. Otherwise the base doesn't comes out.)Mix well with it salt, ginger & green chili.
- Make big lemon size balls from the batter and drop it into hot oil. Fry on high heat till golden brown.
- Remove from heat and soak these vadas in to a bowl of luke warm water for 15-20 seconds.
- Then remove & squeeze the excess water from vadas pressing it between your palms. Keep aside.
- In a mixing bowl beat curd well &mix with it little bit suger,salt to taste, 4 tbsp water,1 tsp cumin powder& a pinch red chili powder.
- Place vadas in this bowl. Gently mix & keep for 10 minutes.
- Now in a serving plate arrange one by one vada &pour dahi mixture over it
- Finally garnish it with spreading cumin powder, tamarind chutney chopped coriander leave& red chili powder on it.
- Chill the dahi vada for sometimes before serving.