Are you Bengali? Do you eat fish? Definitely your answer will be ‘yes’. Bengali can’t live without fish. There is infinite number Fish dish Bengalis used to cook using infinite number of fishesJ.
Today I am going to share Hilsa Fish Curry or Sorshe Ilish. It is said that Hilsa is the king of fish due to it unique taste itself. Rainy season is the perfect for getting this fish as it is actually a sea fish. To cook this fish, traditionally we don’t need onion, garlic or even ginger. But if you wish, can add to make it different. The main ingredient for this is mustard seed paste, green chili, salt and turmeric powder. These are the only ingredients to make famous dish of this fish is called ‘Sorse ilish’(thin curry with mustard seed).There is another known traditional dish of Hilsa fish is ‘lonka ilish’(thin curry with green chili) and it needs fresh green chili, turmeric powder and salt to taste. We all know Mustard oil is the must to cook fish dishes so you need that. Here I used mustard seed paste, green chili and little bit of mill to make its curry.
So calling all non-Bengalis to try it once and you will fall in love with the unique taste…
· Hilsa fish - 800 grams
· Mustard seed paste - 3-4 tbsp.
· Green chili slices 2-3nos
· Dry red chili – 2 no
· Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp.
· Black cumin seed -1 tsp.
· Milk - ¼ cup
· Yogurt - 1/2 cup
· Water- as much as you want to make gravy (I used 1/8 cup)
· Salt to taste
· Mustard oil -1/2 cup
· Lemon juice of one lemon
· Wash and clean fish pieces. Sprinkle salt, turmeric powder and lemon juice over it. Keep aside this marinated fish pieces for 10- 15 minutes.
· Now grind mustard seeds and one green chili together. Adding water make a smooth paste.
· Heat a big mouthed Kadai. Add mustard oil. When oil is hot fry the fish pieces and removes from heat.
· Add black cumin seed and red dry chills in it .When starts to crackle add mustard seed paste, turmeric powder and yogurt in it. Mix very well and cook for 10-15 seconds.
· Then add salt, green chili slices and water in it .Mix it well. When starts to boil add milk, if required add more salt to adjust to taste.
· Finally add fry fish pieces and milk when it is boiling
· After adding fish pieces cover with a lid and cook at very low flame for 15 minutes.
· Feel a nice aroma opening the lid; you would notice oil is floating on top. It is ready to serve. Hot white rice is the best with it.